Wednesday 14 November 2012

An Old Fashioned Casserole: Comfort Food

 
 
 
I always enjoyed my Mother in law June's casseroles. She never thought of herself as a great cook but her meals were always tasty and served with love. This is  the closest I have been able to come to her casserole dish recipe and it's real comfort food. I adapted it from a recipe by Mrs Barbara Kebble  from the Pakuranga Baptist Church Cookery Book 1982 Family Favourites'
 
I changed it by adding a teaspoon of  dried oreganum and a handful of mushrooms to give an earthier flavour. I also left out the sugar. And she probably would have used malt but I used balsamic vinegar.
 
Why it is called Madras steak is a mystery! It's not in the least bit spicy. The only ingredient which has some connection with India is the worcestershire sauce. This very traditional sauce is  piquant but not hot.
 
One of the best things about this casserole is that there is no need to fry the onions and garlic seperately so less dishes and quick to put together.I'd serve it with carrots, peas and mashed potatoes.
 
I cooked it in a lidded Temuka Pottery Casserole as she might well have done.They were all the rage then.

Madras Steak:

Preheat oven to 150C

Ingredients:

500 gm stewing steak steak ( cubed)
1large carrot ( sliced)
1 large onion
12 button mushrooms (sliced)
1 tablespoon of flour
1 tablespoon of vinegar ( I used balsamic)
1 level teaspoon of mustard ( I used Dijon)
1 teaspoon of dried oreganum
1 teaspoon of salt and freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon of worcestershire sauce


Cut meat and vegetables into chunks or slices
Put in casserole with meat at the bottom
Mix all other ingredients with 3/4-1 cup of water ( I found 3/4 cup was sufficient)
Pour over meat and vegetables and cook slowly for two hours.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment